Remote work has always had its appeal. However, employers only got to witness its benefits when the unexpected happened. COVID-19 has changed the way we live and work, and we can say for the better as now we are more conscious of our surroundings and behaviors. Most of all, it has allowed us to enter into a workplace that offers more flexibility and a better work-life balance.
Due to the pandemic, what was once only an option has now become a necessity for many. The remote work model has helped organizations achieve a workplace where employees are more efficient, productive, and content. Moreover, it has allowed them to access global talent with geographic flexibility.
However, hiring remote workers for the first time is not that easy. There are many unique challenges that companies must overcome to employ a team of remote experts successfully. For this reason, in this post, we will discuss things that you should keep in mind when hiring remote workers for the first time.
Successful Remote Workers Share A Specific Set Of Skills
Hiring remote employees is very different from hiring in-office workers and requires a modern approach. Most successful and high-performing remote workers share a specific set of skills to complete their tasks efficiently. These skills also help them stay productive while working away from the office. Some of these shared skills are;
- They Are Highly Organized: High-performing remote employees are good at prioritizing their tasks. Their high organization skills help them stay focused and productive during work hours. It also helps them manage their time effectively and stay ahead of deadlines and office commitments.
- They Can Work Independently: Most employees need some form of surveillance to help them stay focused on their job. For a successful remote employee, however, being able to work independently is the most crucial trait. You cannot always supervise your remote employees, and therefore hiring ones that can work on their own and handle most issues independently is a definite plus.
- They Have Excellent Communication Skills: Remote employees must have excellent written and verbal communication skills. Good communication skills are necessary for better coordination among team members and better communication with managers.
If you hire people with these skills, they will have a better chance of becoming a high-performance member of your team.
Do Not Skip On Video Interviews
A video interview is an essential part of hiring a remote employee. You might not get the chance to ever meet with the candidate in person, but if you have interacted with them through a video meeting, then it can make all the difference.
A video interview is the best way to learn about your potential employee. It can help you figure out if the person is right for the job. Some of the most important questions to ask the candidates are;
- Do you have any remote working experience? What are some of the challenges you faced and how did you deal with them?
- Why are you interested in working remotely?
- How do you handle distractions?
- Where do you plan to work, and do you have an office set up at home?
- How do you plan to communicate with your remote team?
- What challenges do you think you will have to face while working remotely, and how will you tackle them?
Answers to these questions will give you an insight into your candidate’s experience and skills. The insight will help you make the right decision for your company.
Hire Seamlessly With Worktually
Worktually is one of the most remarkable remote employee recruiters in the world. By partnering up with Worktually, you can save your human resource and payroll cost and forget about the tedious work of building and maintaining a physical office, hiring employees, and managing human resource tasks. We take care of these responsibilities for you at minimum cost.
You can hire your first remote employees by following these simple steps below;
- Sign up with Worktually at https://app.worktually.com/register
- Create a job posting listing all your requirements
- Review job applications and shortlist candidates
- Conduct virtual interviews
- Select the most suitable candidate and get started